Work Type: Project Based Contract
Closing date: 16 October 2020
Applications must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose of the Role
Reports to the Head of Department and is responsible for all Electrical Engineering designs primarily for large (>80Ml/day) water treatment plants, waste water treatment plants, pumping and water conveyance facilities.
Responsibilities / Duties
Lead Electrical Engineer functions will include:
- Expert knowledge and understanding regarding the electrical designs and installations for all large (>80Ml/day) water and wastewater related treatment plant equipment and infrastructure;
- Design electrical (both medium voltage and low voltage) site reticulation including conduit routing and layouts, for water and wastewater related treatment plant equipment and infrastructure; large motors, mechanical equipment, motor control centres, MV switchgear, protection scheme design and substation design, variable speed drives, etc
- Perform basic sizing and power requirement calculations.
- Perform electrical system computer modeling for short circuit, load flow, protective device coordination, and arc-flash studies.
- Design single-line diagrams and electrical schematics.
- Develop panel and electrical gear layouts.
- Develop electrical specifications and details.
- Earthing and lightning protection designs
- Make revisions to project drawings marked up by in-house engineers and/or Client and coordinate well with other engineering disciplines.
- Create and manage electronic document file structure, naming convention in accordance with company standards.
- Can be relied on as productive team member and designer to work a typical set of project documents from beginning to end with professional quality output that conforms to company standards.
- Perform field data collection in conjunction with design projects.
- Prepare electrical studies such as condition assessments and feasibility studies
- Work closely with Project Managers and Engineers to set-up and manage contract and construction drawings.
- Communicate with outside agencies, clients and vendors in exchanging data and manage that data in accordance with guidelines set.
- Must be able to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Follow CAD standards.
- Incumbent is expected to carry out site supervision of construction works for short and sometimes long durations on sites as follows;
- Ensuring compliance with design/specifications and standards
- Ensuring compliance with project programme and all knowledge areas
- Attending site meetings
- Preparing reports
- Issuing of Site Instructions (SI)
- Attending to Requests for Information (RFIs) from the contractor
- Liaising with the Head Office in all cases while contacting site activities
- Do any ad-hoc office or site duties as assigned by the Head of Department.
Qualifications & Experience / Minimum Requirements
- Education: B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Experience: 15 + yearsâ€™ experience after graduation with 8+ years of experience specifically in the electrical design and construction of both water and wastewater treatment plants is essential and experience in power distribution design.
- Commissioning experience is essential.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, REVIT MEP, ETAP design capabilities, and Microsoft Office capabilities is a plus.
- Professional Registration with ECSA.
- Experience in BIM 360 software would be an advantage.
- A valid drivers license.
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team on interesting and complex projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to multi-task with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines.
- Preference to work in a team environment.
- Preparation of design drawings and specifications.
- Maintaining work scope for project engineering within time and budget parameters.
- Availability for occasional after hour and overnight travel.
Salary: To be negotiated.
Reports to: Reports to HOD.
Travel: Occasional travel to site, intercontinental and internationally.
NB: We may not be able to respond to all individual applications, therefore if you have not received a response within sixty days from the date of submission kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
At South Zambezi Engineering Services, people matter. The firm has a genuine interest in the well-being of its employees and continually strives to provide a pleasant work environment. South Zambezi offers an inspiring environment where dynamic, ambitious people can develop their full potential, led by a team of professionals and highly-skilled managers committed to the continuous evolution and success of South Zambezi and its people. We seek motivated people who are eager to seize every opportunity for professional advancement through continuous learning. In all that we do, we are guided by our common goal â€“ to be an employer of choice and provider of equal opportunity, career development.