Work Type: Permanent
Closing date: 30 August 2019
Applications must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose of the Role
To be the structural department’s senior design engineer on concrete and structural steel structures and to be involved with designs and related work for 80% of the time.
To execute concept and feasibility designs up to final designs, including analysis and seismic designs; working knowledge of ETABS programme is preferred Expert knowledge of Prokon; interpreting foundation and geotechnical survey results; mentoring junior engineers and monitoring their work; marking up and checking concrete and structural steel layouts and rebar drawings for draughtsmen and detailers when required; sign off reports and drawings.
Responsibilities / Duties
- Working knowledge on Reinforced Concrete Construction.
- Occasionally travel to site for duration of the contract period.
- Supervise all activities of project and ensure compliance to all plans and specifications and identify all errors in plans and ensure optimal working of construction and office personnel.
- Manage and maintain accurate field notes and maintain flow of technical information and prepare comprehensive assessment reports for all turbines and generators and associate equipment.
- Oversee working of all engineering personnel and inspect all materials and assist to resolve all construction process and recommend improvement to all construction activities and ensure compliance to specifications and construction schedule and prepare all progress reports.
- Evaluate all improvement operations and ensure availability of all resources and coordinate with customer to prepare all outage schedules and provide recommendation for all repair work and ensure compliance to all timeframe.
- Resolve client and design engineer questions within required timeframe and provide assistance to contractor;
- Monitor all proactive activities and installations of equipment;
- Incumbent is expected to carry out site supervision of construction works for short and sometimes long durations on sites as follows;
- Ensuring compliance with design/specifications and standards;
- Ensuring compliance with programme and all knowledge areas;
- Attending site meetings;
- Preparing reports;
- Issuing of Site Instructions (SIs);
- Attending to Requests For Information (RFIs) from the contractor;
- Do any ad-hoc office or site duties as assigned by the Lead Resident Engineer;
- Engage in activities which contribute to personal CPD (Continuous Professional Development) and maintain professional accreditation;
- Responsible for on-going informal and formal development to stay abreast of innovations in the industry;
Qualifications & Experience / Minimum Requirements
- BEng (Civil) or BTech (Civil), registered with ECSA as a Professional Engineer;
- 10 plus years as engineer on structural engineering (i.e. Reservoirs, Intake Structures and Pump Stations) with min 8 years applicable design experience;
- Knowledge, understanding and application of software ETABS, Prokon, MS Office ,MS Project and Drafting software;
- Knowledge of bridge and culvert design will be an advantage;
- Knowledge of structural concrete repair of bridges and slabs will be an advantage;
- Understanding of quality management system ISO 9001;
- Legal knowledge of contracts and related laws;
- Knowledge of design compliance standards.
- Able to take decisions and demonstrate accountability and integrity;
- Able to negotiate, influence and persuade stakeholders in projects to achieve positive solutions to any challenges which may arise;
- Pay attention to details;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent planning and organising skills;
- Ability to lead and influence the team;
- Ability to work under pressure.
Salary: To be negotiated
Reports to: Project Director
Travel: Occasional travel to site, intercontinental and internationally
NB: We may not be able to respond to all individual applications, therefore if you have not received a response within sixty days from the date of submission kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
At South Zambezi Engineering Services, people matter. The firm has a genuine interest in the well-being of its employees and continually strives to provide a pleasant work environment. South Zambezi offers an inspiring environment where dynamic, ambitious people can develop their full potential, led by a team of professionals and highly-skilled managers committed to the continuous evolution and success of South Zambezi and its people. We seek motivated people who are eager to seize every opportunity for professional advancement through continuous learning. In all that we do, we are guided by our common goal – to be an employer of choice and provider of equal opportunity, career development.