Work Type: Permanent
Closing date: 28 February 2019
Applications must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Purpose of the Role
Road design, and management of roads design teams
- Designing of urban and rural roads
- preparing tender documents for construction
- reviewing technical submissions
- working collaboratively with other design departments
- supporting other project managers and directors within the business
- keeping up to date with environmental matters, and being aware of policy and developments in this area
- presenting technical data or project results to both technical and non-technical clients and colleagues
- monitoring the progress of projects from beginning to end – from the feasibility stage, to preliminary and detail design through to construction and handover
- controlling budgets at project level
- Incumbent is expected to carry out site supervision of construction works for short and sometimes long durations on sites
- Do any ad-hoc office or site duties as assigned by the Senior Civil/Roads Engineer
Responsibilities / Duties
- Incumbent to be able to work in a team
- Must be able to communicate with all team members, clients and service providers to communicate ideas, troubleshoot and propose solutions
- Provide guidance to draught person for preparing design drawings
- Provide guidance to team conducting site investigations
Training and Development
Engage in activities which contribute to personal CPD (Continuous Professional Development) and maintain professional accreditation.
Responsible for on-going informal and formal development to stay abreast of innovations in the industry.
Identify and facilitate activities which contribute to development of team members.
Participate in mentoring and informal training/partnering within department.
Provide guidance and training in design skills and such other as necessary to trainees, draughtsman and Technicians under the incumbent for Continuous Professional Development
Participate in programmes of the firm which will include skill and knowledge transfer.
Qualifications & Experience / Minimum Requirements
- BEng (Civil), BTech (Civil) degree or equivalent
- Must be professionally registered or registrable with ECSA as PrEng/PrTech
- Legal Knowledge: Labour Relations Act,OHS Act and Design compliance standards
- Minimum 7 years in urban and rural road design including the design of interchanges and intersections
- Software: MS Office, MS Project, Civil 3D, Civil Designer Knowledge of specialized road design software will be an advantage (Road Maker)
- Quality Management: ISO compliance
- Language proficiency: Must be able to read, write and communicate in English
- Travel: Occasional inter-provincial or long term site visits
- Driver’s license: essential
- Contractual/spokesperson Authority: No
- Is able to take decisions and demonstrate accountability and integrity
- Is able to negotiate, influence and persuade stakeholders in projects to achieve positive solutions to any challenges which may arise
- Deductive reasoning- the ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Sound and practical knowledge of guidelines and specifications of municipal, provincial and national roads authorities including practical knowledge of local and international contract conditions
- Oral and written comprehension and expression
- Ensure filing systems are maintained and up to date
- Operate within ISO standards
- Ensure correct filing and signing of documents as well as necessary approvals are obtained from clients and service providers
- To be aware of the chain of custody of documents/drawings
- Is able to ensure project budgets are adhered to
- To operate efficiently and make economically sound decisions on all projects
- Able to analyse and evaluate costs of various products, service providers and solutions in order to maximise value and quality on all projects
Salary: To be negotiated (inclusive of benefits) depending on relevance and duration of experience
Reports to: Senior Roads Engineer
Travel: Occasional travel to site, intercontinentally and internationally
NB: We may not be able to respond to all individual applications, therefore if you have not received a response within sixty days from the date of submission kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
At South Zambezi Engineering Services, people matter. The firm has a genuine interest in the well-being of its employees and continually strives to provide a pleasant work environment. South Zambezi offers an inspiring environment where dynamic, ambitious people can develop their full potential, led by a team of professionals and highly-skilled managers committed to the continuous evolution and success of South Zambezi and its people. We seek motivated people who are eager to seize every opportunity for professional advancement through continuous learning. In all that we do, we are guided by our common goal – to be an employer of choice and provider of equal opportunity, career development.