Work Type: Permanent
Closing date: 28 February 2019
Applications must be sent to: email@example.com
Purpose of the Role
Drives the implementation of the South Zambezi, Project Management Division’s vision of growth. Completes engineering projects by organizing and controlling project elements.
- Ascertain quality and timely generation of projects designs, reports, cost estimates as may be required by management
- Design, Reporting and Project Management of projects in infrastructural services to meet projects objectives
- Preparation of proposals, tender and contract documents for all projects
- Incumbent is expected to carry out site supervision of construction works for short durations on sites as follows;
- Ensuring compliance with design/specifications and standards
- Ensuring compliance with programme and all knowledge areas
- Attending site meetings
- Preparing reports
- Provide guidance and training in design skills and such other as necessary to Senior Engineers, Engineers and Technicians under the incumbent
- Do any ad-hoc office duties as assigned by the HOD Project Management
- Develops project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans; conferring with management.
- Determines project responsibilities by identifying project phases and elements; assigning personnel to phases and elements; reviewing bids from contractors.
- Determines project specifications by studying product design, customer requirements, and performance standards; completing technical studies; preparing cost estimates.
- Confirms product performance by designing and conducting tests.
- Determines project schedule by studying project plan and specifications; calculating time requirements; sequencing project elements.
- Maintains project schedule by monitoring project progress; coordinating activities; resolving problems.
- Controls project plan by reviewing design, specifications, and plan and schedule changes; recommending actions.
- Controls project costs by approving expenditures; administering contractor contracts.
- Prepares project status reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends; recommending actions.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by enforcing procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Required to monitor the Contractor’s progress on site and keeps in contact with the clients via the Project Leader
- Refer significant queries on design or any engineering matters to the Head of Engineering together with approval of materials and alternative design proposals
- Ensure that the design specifications that may have relevance to future designs are brought to the attention of the Engineer
- To apply relevant and applicable clauses of General Conditions of Contract to the project
- Liaise with the Contract Site Agent with regards to all aspects of the work
- Ensure that the contractor and the staff understand the obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Assist with Environmental Management of the contractor’s work
- Communicate with the public via a Community Liaison Officer and report to the Engineer when necessary
- Attends and / or chairs formal site meetings with contractor or client
- Prepare and draft minutes of Technical and Site Meetings and submit them
- Maintain a site diary
- Manage material testing on – site and off – site
- Issues site instructions to the contractor
- Plans and programmes diversion traffic and relocation of services
- Monitors progress as per approved construction programme and negotiates rectification of delays and work not scheduled
- Checks and certifies monthly payment certificates for payment by the client
- Agrees on measurement of quantities with contractor
- Maintains a costing system to monitor costs to date and the project final contract value
- Prepares Variation Orders for approval by the Engineer and Client
- Assist the Engineer with the preparation of a list of outstanding works for the progression to Completion Certificates
- Arrange the completion of “as built” drawings and Construction Reports
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with international standards and state regulations.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Responsibilities / Duties
- Incumbent to motivate the team in the projects department to work and produce results as desired by the management
- Delegate work effectively to the team in all departments.
- Promote participation of all staff members in presenting and compiling reports within the department to develop team dynamics
- Can make on-site decisions
- Can facilitate discussions between various stakeholders
Training and Development
Engage in activities which contribute to personal CPD
Responsible for personal growth and development through on-going informal and formal learning to stay abreast of innovations in industry as well as legal and client requirements and frameworks
Act as a mentor to junior members in the team.
Implement and oversee mentoring and informal training/partnering within department.
Do benchmarking exercises to ensure team is keeping up with industry standards.
Mentor external and internal emerging engineers as part of company skills development and ESD if called upon.
Qualifications & Experience / Minimum Requirements
- Degree in Engineering
- Professional project management qualification
- Legal Knowledge: Employee Equity Act, Labour Relations Act, OHS Act and Design compliance standards
- Minimum 10 years civil engineering experience (water, roads)
- Software: MS Office, MS Project and Various design software
- Quality Management: ISO 9000 compliance
- Language proficiency: Must be able to read, write and communicate in English
- Travel: Regular inter-provincial site visits
- Driver’s license: essential
- Contractual/spokesperson Authority: No
- Is able to take decisions and demonstrate accountability and integrity.
- Is able to lead and supervise a team in order to achieve business objectives in all circumstances
- Is able to troubleshoot and strategize in order to meet the long-term vision of the company
- Ensure filing systems are maintained and up to date
- Ensure that employees operate within ISO standards
- Ensure correct filing and signing of documents as well as necessary approvals are obtained from clients and service providers
- To be aware of the chain of custody of documents
- Excellent report writing skills and editing
- Is able to draw up a departmental budget
- Is able to ensure project budgets are adhered to
- To operate efficiently and make economically sound decisions on all projects
- Maintain knowledge on professional rates and fees
- Ensure three quote system is employed to have comparative costing procedures
Salary: To be negotiated (inclusive of benefits) depending on relevance and duration of experience
Reports to: HOD Project Management
Travel: Occasional travel to site, intercontinentally and internationally
NB: We may not be able to respond to all individual applications, therefore if you have not received a response within sixty days from the date of submission kindly consider your application unsuccessful.
At South Zambezi Engineering Services, people matter. The firm has a genuine interest in the well-being of its employees and continually strives to provide a pleasant work environment. South Zambezi offers an inspiring environment where dynamic, ambitious people can develop their full potential, led by a team of professionals and highly-skilled managers committed to the continuous evolution and success of South Zambezi and its people. We seek motivated people who are eager to seize every opportunity for professional advancement through continuous learning. In all that we do, we are guided by our common goal – to be an employer of choice and provider of equal opportunity, career development.